Thursday, September 24, 2009

Writing Journal Assignment #2

Kaitlin Chupka
Eng1050 – 20
Writing Journal Assignment #2

From reading the opening paragraph of the article alone, I knew the author would be someone I could relate to. I am currently operating seven tabs in my web browser with everything from e-mail to sports scores and, of course, Facebook. This is my usual routine when getting to my dorm room after class -- open up all the websites that I need to check in order to get myself situated. Sometimes I wonder how I got into the habit of having seven or eight things to be looking at all at once. The subject goes along well with our last article about how many Americans have adapted to having all the information they need at their fingertips and no time to wait for it. With that being said, even when I do have all of these windows open on my computer, they usually sit there for a while until I can get to them because I am admittedly an awful multitasker. I don't like doing more than one thing at a time because I know my attention will be drawn away and I will forget about what I was first doing, or I will return to it with less focus. I can relate to Chabris's idea of remembering phone numbers long enough to dial them -- I almost always have to write the number down because I know that if ONE thought pops into my head, the number will be gone forever. I enjoyed reading this article because it is very timely for me, as this is the first task on my seemingly neverending to-do list for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment