Thursday, September 10, 2009

Writing Journal Assignment #1

Sarah Fitzpatrick
Eng1050-20
Writing Journal Assignment #1

After reading Monica Hesse’s article, “Truth: Can You Handle It?”, I found myself thinking about how I, myself, conduct research. I ultimately began to wonder how much false information I have received from sites similar to Wikipedia. When I am researching for a history project or a paper for school, I am sure to utilize databases and library books for accurate information. I realized, however, as I was reading this article, that the sole reason I do not choose to use Wikipedia for this research is so I do not get in trouble or receive a bad grade for using false information. This is an example of Monica Hesse’s comparison of information and knowledge. I use credible sources only when I am doing work for school, yet when I am curious about something – whether it be which medicine is the best for headaches or which song Dave Matthews wrote about his sister – I automatically resort to the first website that pops up in the Google search. This makes me realize that the only time I strive to find the “truthful” answers are when it is necessary for a class. I end up becoming a victim to this “wikiality”, the term that Stephen Colbert coined to mean "a reality where, if enough people agree with a notion, it must be true." I base my personal knowledge on sites like Wikipedia and now I realize how this must seem lazy. It may seem lazy to people of different generations, people who grew up in a different world – a world that did not include internet and quick information always at your fingertips. My generation, however, moves quicker. When Hillary Swain admits that she only has the patience to look through books for desired information for five minutes, this is not surprising, as her friends are probably coming up with the same information online in under one minute. Monica Hesse’s article is interesting and made me think about whether I am being lazy, or merely practical, in this fast-paced world.

No comments:

Post a Comment