Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Writing Journal Assignment #2

Cameron Foley
Eng1050 – 20
Writing Journal Assignment #2

After reading the article I find the situation the author describes in the first paragraph to be very similar to the situation I find myself in when I sit down at night to do homework. The second I try to start writing or researching for an assignment I am immediately distracted by email, facebook, and other online tasks. It only takes seconds for me to completely forget about my work and focus in on what entertains me at the given moment. Often times if I really need to take some time to focus and write a paper I force myself to unplug the internet or turn off my wireless switch. It is only by making it impossible for me to access the things that distract me most that I am able to actually do the things that need to be done the most. This occurrence has certainly built up over time though. I initially started out with just one or two sites I would check online prior to getting to work, but overtime the number of internet fixations I have has grown and grown. As people become more involved with the internet, and technology continues to grow at drastic rates I see no stop to the growing number of distractions we face. But at the same time technology also allows us to better manage these growing number of tasks and distractions. The internet allows us to complete tasks much faster than ever before, and access information we would never have been able to in the past. New technologies allow us to sync together all aspects of our online life to make it more convenient to manage them all at once. It seems that while we may not be able to multitask as well as we may think we can, we only think we can multitask so well because there are things out there that help us to cope and deal with the growing number of tasks at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment