Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Writing Journal Assignment #2

Andrew Connaughton
Eng1050 – 20
Writing Journal Assignment #2

I found this article interesting because it is very easy for me to relate to. I feel like I hardly ever dedicate my full attention to one thing (work related). When I am playing sports, I obviously focus my attention to what I am doing, maybe because on a field there's not much else to be done. But for example right now I am writing this blog and also listening to music, which I don't feel like has much of an impact on my attention. It may be that I have been multitasking while doing work for so long that it has almost become second nature and I don't realize how much I could be concentrating. I don't agree with the author's belief that technology has hampered our productivity. He mentioned his problem with three phone lines and three e-mail accounts, which could easily be streamlined. Many people now don't have land-lines at their residences, as cell phones are becoming the primary phone. I'm not sure how much of a necessity his work phone is but his cell phone may be able to replace that too. As for the e-mails, one account should be fine, and for all the spam and junk mail that the author is probably receiving, there are filters to slow the influx. I have to agree with the author's point that technology is, "giving us more things to pay attention to and thinner slices of time to devote to each one." I often get overwhelmed by the number of things that I have to accomplish in a day. I find that if I list my priorities it helps me get on track but it is daunting when I need to dive into a long list of various tasks.

No comments:

Post a Comment