Thursday, October 8, 2009

Writing Journal Assignment #4

Sarah Fitzpatrick
Eng1050 – 20Writing Journal Assignment #4
I found this article very interesting because I have found myself wondering the same thing at times: what does one do with an English major? The author brought up good points that English is not just about writing books and analyzing poems, but that its part in the business world is crucial. When coming up with slogans or jingles, one must be good at thinking of something that will stick in others’ heads. They must be able to come up with concise rhyme that is also somehow incorporated with their product or business. Being an English major is crucial in gaining this knowledge and qualifications needed for jobs like these. I agree with Ken Steele’s quotation, I think that language is very useful in all ranges of work. You are not considered professional if you use bad English or grammar. I think this is part of the reason almost every college requires students to enter after the completion of four English courses in high school. If one has not had enough practice in English they will not go very far – considering interviews, public speaking and meeting new people. I think that this article proved a very good point, and one that most people do not stop to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment