Thursday, October 1, 2009

Writing Journal Assignment #4

Andrew Connaughton
Eng1050 – 20
Writing Journal Assignment #4

I thought this was a very interesting article, especially because I am a business student. It was a little bit of a realization for me to be shown how English is used in the business world. I have, of course, seen more than my fair share of commercials and catchy rhymes but I never really thought about who was coming up with them. The Business English course that Penn State offers sounds like a class that I would be interesting in taking. I'm sure it teaches more than just how to come up with clever rhymes. For the ad campaigns that work best for me are the commercials with simple slogans and funny commercials. If the slogan is easy to say and remember, I will probably go around saying it to my friends. But long slogans and dry commercials don't really catch my attention, which makes it seem like the English major who comes up with the slogan has their work cut out. Although I found most of the content in the article interesting, the end seemed almost like a plea or a recruitment for English majors. Although it cleverly ended with the Nike slogan, I thought that the article lost some of its credibility because of its informality.

No comments:

Post a Comment